I have a theme to my cooking lately . . . delicious, satisfying and QUICK to prepare! Here is my latest which is Braised Beef Short Ribs. It makes a large portion and contains plenty of marrow from the bones which is healing on so many levels.
Braised Beef Short Ribs (serves 8-10)
Ribs are a flavorful cut of meat with plenty of healthy, satisfying fat. Although you can bake them, I find the slow cooker to be more convenient. Ribs are not inexpensive, but when you figure you can get up to 10 servings from this delicious recipe, the cost per meal is very reasonable.
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
12 grass-fed beef short ribs
2 TBS coconut oil
6 carrots, chopped
6 celery ribs, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 turnips, peeled and chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cups red wine
2 cups beef stock
- Turn the slow cooker on high.
- Stir minced garlic, ground pepper and sea salt together. Then season the beef short ribs with the garlic, salt and pepper mixture.
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet. Sear seasoned ribs approximately one or two minutes on each side.
- Transfer the seared ribs to the slow cooker and add carrots, celery, onion, turnips, bay leaves, red wine and beef stock.
- Cook the ribs and vegetables on high for approximately 5 hours, or low for approximately 8 hours. The ribs are done when they fall off the bone and are very tender.
Recipe compliments of Jenny McGruther.