Here is another variation of chili worth adding to your recipes. This is also delicious vegetarian.
1 TBS olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4-1 tsp ground cayenne or chipotle pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen corn
2 15-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 28-oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
4-oz. can roasted green chilies, mild or hot
4 cups chicken broth, more if needed
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
A small drizzle of honey
2 chicken breasts, baked & shredded
Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake approximately 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
2. Sauté onions on medium high heat in olive oil until translucent. Then add the garlic and spices and stir for a minute.
3. Add the corn, beans, tomatoes, green chilies, broth, balsamic vinegar, and honey.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add the shredded chicken and some lime juice.
5. Adjust the seasonings – More heat? More lime? A tad more sweetness? Good chili has a balance of these flavors. If the chili thickens too much, thin it with broth; if the chili becomes too thin, cook it longer with the lid off to reduce the liquid. Serve with a wedge of lime.