One of my clients made this recipe for a Chili Cook-off and she won! So I thought I would share it with everyone. The source of protein in this recipe is versatile: beans, organic ground turkey or grass-fed beef. It is a simple one-pot meal and the leftovers are delicious!
Turkey Chipotle Chili
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced thin
4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 TBS unrefined olive oil
½ to 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (based on the spice level you prefer)
2 to 3 tsp regular chili powder
2 heaping teaspoons oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 lb ground organic turkey or grass-fed beef
1 cup of frozen corn
1 28oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 15oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
2 15oz cans of mixed chili beans (use bean liquid if needed for consistency)
1 15oz can refried beans (Amy’s organic with green chilies works well)
1 gluten-free beer (Optional ingredient. Daura is a good brand.)
2 TBS honey
2 TBS red wine vinegar
¼ to ½ cup chopped cilantro
Sea Salt to taste (start with ½ tsp)
1. Sauté diced onion and garlic in olive oil in large heavy pot over medium heat.
2. Stir in chili powder, oregano and cumin.
3. Cook until the onions are soft and coated in seasonings.
4. Brown the ground turkey in another pan and then add to onion mixture.
5. Add corn, crushed tomatoes, chili beans, refried beans, beer, carrot, honey, vinegar and sea salt to
6. Turn down heat and cook at a low simmer, partially covered, for about 1 hour, stirring frequently.
7. Adjust seasonings as needed and add chopped cilantro.